Thursday, August 29, 2013

My Food Obsession

Well Dear Readers I must share with you my ultimate food passion...none other than Chocolate! Ah that sinful,creamy,dreamy goodness...what could be better? I realized long ago that chocolate & I were destined to be together forever...Godiva, Perugina, Ghirardelli, Lindt...just the smell is enough to drive me crazy! I must say I think I have more recipes involving my favorite ingredient than I do for anything else. From time to time, I will be sharing some of my most treasured yummy recipes for this luscious treat with you and I hope you get as much pleasure from them as I do. I am going to begin our chocolate journey with my all time favorite chocolate dessert...the souffle. Readers, I beg you please don't be intimidated by that word! People have this notion that souffles are so daunting to make when in fact they are so easy. They just need a little patience & trust me this is one thing that will reward you from the first bite! Light & airy, this beautiful souffle makes you feel like you're eating a chocolate cloud :) I can go on and on about my sweet obsession but I'll save it for another post. This recipe has never, until now been given to anyone! I hope you will all try it with the ones you love and please let me know what you think!


Chocolate Souffle:

Ingredients:

1/3 c sugar plus more for sprinkling
5 oz. Bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 lg. Egg yolks at room temperature
6 lg. Egg whites at room temperature

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375. Generously butter a 1 1/2qt(5 1/2-6 cups) souffle dish and sprinkle with sugar knocking out the excess.
2) Melt chocolate in a double boiler* stirring until smooth.
3) Remove chocolate from heat & stir in egg yolks. Mixture will stiffen.
4) Beat egg whites in a clean, cold metal bowl with a pinch of salt at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add 1/3c sugar a little at a time continuing to beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
5) Stir 1 cup of beaten whites into chocolate to lighten mixture.
6) Add mixture to remaining whites folding gently but thoroughly.
7) Spoon into prepared souffle dish and run your thumb around the inside edge of dish touching the batter.
8) Bake in the center of oven until puffed and crusted on top but still slightly jiggly in center. Between 24-26 minutes.

*You can use a metal bowl set over simmering water as a double boiler being sure bowl does not touch water*

Serve warm with whipped cream & Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment