We are all trying to stay healthy especially with Summer coming. I have recently lost 60lbs & feel awesome. Like many of you, I have gotten into the whole smoothie/juice craze that has swept the nation. I have always had a passion for my fave Jamba juice which is amazing & very healthy(try it soon if you never have!). The only problem is I don't have a Jamba close by! They did finally came out with frozen smoothie kits you can find in your grocery store. They are a little pricey at $3.69 a bag which gives you 2 drinks & really isn't that bad considering a small juice at the shop costs about $5. Today I am going to share with you my tips for making your own frozen smoothie kits at home. It's really not that hard. All you need is some non-fat yogurt,fruit & veggies, a sheet pan, icecube trays & a few ziploc bags. Whatever you do just use fresh produce! Ok, here we go!
AT HOME SMOOTHIE KITS: Each kit makes 1 8oz drink
1) 2 cups of your favorite fruits & veggies(my faves are strawberries,peaches & spinach*), rinsed & dried well with paper towel. If possible use a salad spinner for leafy veggies.
2) enough yogurt to fill an ice cube tray
3)fresh lemon juice
1) Prepare fruit. Berries can be left whole, stone fruits & banana can be cut in chunks.
2) Mix lemon juice with 6 Tbsp. water in a bowl. Give stone fruit & bananas a quick dip in the water & let dry.
3) Place fruit on a sheet pan & place in freezer until fruit is completely frozen-at least 12hrs. If using spinach or other leafy greens, puree them in a blender with a few tablespoons of water & freeze in ice cube trays.
4) Fill an ice cube tray with yogurt & place plastic wrap on top & place in freezer until frozen.
5) When fruit & yogurt cubes are frozen, place 4oz(mixture of fruit & yogurt cubes) in small ziploc baggies. Label bags!
To make a smoothie,combine 1 4oz bag of your mixture with 8oz juice(I like orange juice) & blend in a blender. You can also use a combination of juice & coconut water if you'd like.
I hope you will all join the juice craze and lets get healthy!